Just a little fun...
So this post is our light-hearted view of Namibia.
It has some of the interesting stuff, a few trivial facts, and our thoughts on the country.
Let’s start with the Truths about NamibiaAnd why you'll want to visit
The 3 C's
Namibia is a wonderful location to bring out your inner adventurer. If you love a road trip and seeking out wildlife, it doesn’t get much better than this. With the sweeping red sand dunes in the Namib desert, the harsh Atlantic coast line of the Skeleton Coast and then the abundance of wildlife that can be found in the north of the country. Who could want more?
It’s good to talk
International Dialling Code
Difference from UTC
So what’s this Trivia then?And where are the best places to visit?
Did you know?
- The Namib Desert which runs along the Atlantic coast in Namibia, is considered to be the oldest desert in the world.
- Namib-Naukluft National Park is the largest game reserve in Africa.
- It is Illegal to venture onto the sands of the protected diamond area of “Sperrgebiet’, just outside Lüderitz. They take their diamonds very seriously you could face a heavy fine or imprisonment.
- The threatened Mountain Zebra, found only in Namibia, south-western Angola and South Africa are typically different from the plains Zebra, as its stripes do not loop around its belly, there is a distinctive gap. Also, they are often browner in colour.
- The elusive Desert Elephants that frequent the Kunene region, can only be found in this part of Namibia and Mali in north Africa.
- Namibia was a German colony from 1884 until 1915, and still has an evident German influence through the larger towns
- The indigenous Himba people are considered the last semi-nomadic people in Namibia.
It's famous for...
Food and Drink
With the sun setting over a Namibian desert there is no better place - we'll have a G&T
A long way to travel for ...
Infamous apple pie at McGregor’s Bakery in Solitaire
See and Do
Wildlife that we saw – to name just few
We know there's no guarantees of what you will see - but we were lucky enough to spot the following - what will you see?
Reptiles & Insects
Welwitschia Mirabilis (lives to upto 2,000 years), Acacia trees of deadvlei, Baobab tree, Quiver Tree, Nara Plant, Palm trees & Dollar bushes.
Places to see
Etosha National Park
Drive amongst the watering holes in Etosha National Park, to catch sight of a pride of lions.
Walk amongst the trees in Deadvlei, which died over 600 years ago.
The Sky at Night
Little 5 Living Desert tour
The Himba People
If you get the opportunity visit the Himba People with their ochre coloured painted skin.
Fish River Canyon
Movies & TV
Mad Max – Fury Road 2015
Flight of the Phoenix 2004
The Cell 2000
BBC & David Attenborough
The Grand Tour - Amazon
And our thoughts on Namibia(Would we return? Is it good value? And did we feel the love?)
We'd love to head back one day, probably visit the Caprivi strip in the north of Namibia. Gary will want to find the ghost ships of the Skeleton coast.
Value for Money
Prices generally not too bad, but a lot of the tourist activity is priced for the market, rather than actual cost. We found it cheaper in the south, but not so much wildlife.
Behind the wheel - the driving karma
What's it like driving in the country.
Which side of the road do they drive on? They drive on the right.
* This post may contain links to affiliated sites where we earn a small commission at no additional charge to you.
Inspired to visit Namibia?
(Why not Pin It for Later?)
If you enjoy what you see, and you’d like regular updates then join us for a monthly newsletter.