So this post is our light-hearted view of NamibiaIt has some of the interesting stuff, a few trivial facts, and our thoughts on the country.
The LocationThe Three C's
Where's Namibia in the world?
Namibia Up Close
It’s good to talk
Did you know?
- The Namib Desert which runs along the Atlantic coast in Namibia, is considered to be the oldest desert in the world.
- Namib-Naukluft National Park is the largest game reserve in Africa.
- It is Illegal to venture onto the sands of the protected diamond area of “Sperrgebiet’, just outside Lüderitz. They take their diamonds very seriously you could face a heavy fine or imprisonment.
- The threatened Mountain Zebra, found only in Namibia, south-western Angola and South Africa are typically different from the plains Zebra, as its stripes do not loop around its belly, there is a distinctive gap. Also, they are often browner in colour.
- The elusive Desert Elephants that frequent the Kunene region, can only be found in this part of Namibia and Mali in north Africa.
- Namibia was a German colony from 1884 until 1915, and still has an evident German influence through the larger towns
- The indigenous Himba people are considered the last semi-nomadic people in Namibia.
Food and drink
If you're considering a road trip through Namibia, then your in for a holiday of a lifetime. I always find it incredibly useful to plan our trips with the help of a guide book.
Take a look at this informative Bradt guide, it will give you great tips and advice.
What to see & do in Namibia
Movies & TV
Visitor information for Namibia
Do you want to discover more of the Western African gem that is Namibia?
Why not check out Visit Namibia's website? Find out more about the individual regions and what you can expect.
Value for Money
Our value for money index.
Don't forget we're Londoners, and that means our baseline is quite high.
Behind the wheel - the driving karma
What's it like driving in the country.
Which side of the road do they drive on? They drive on the right.
* This post may contain links to affiliated sites where we earn a small commission at no additional charge to you.